NRA Decals.
marksmayfield07
2009-01-11 01:24:38 UTC
What do you guys think? Does displaying an NRA decal on your vehicle
make it more likely to be the subject of an auto burglary by theives
looking for a weapon?

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:concealed-digest-***@public.gmane.org
mailto:concealed-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Guitar Slinger
2009-01-11 02:05:52 UTC
Yes. IMHO.  I used to display them, but now
all my vehicles are in "stealth" mode at all
times.

If a thief looking to steal a gun sees two
unattended vehicles, one with an NRA sticker
and one without, he will probably choose to
try the NRA one.

Luckily I never had one broken into while
it sported an NRA decal, but

I have had vehicles sabotaged for displaying

political bumper stickers.   (Thus, I have a

two-fold reason for the stealth mode)

Man-Made Global Warming is a hoax.
Ty

Tim
2009-01-11 13:34:09 UTC
You're giving alot of credit to a SB DA criminal. I don't think they
are that smart nor do I think they think about it beforehand. In my
opinion it is like realestate.... location, location, location.

The SB won't break into a car parked in front of the door of some
building, he'd get caught. He works the middle of the big parking
lots or in a garage.

Alex Clayton
2009-01-11 13:43:09 UTC
Post by Tim
The SB won't break into a car parked in front of the
door of some
building, he'd get caught.
It happens here ALL THE TIME. In broad daylight, in front of a building. The Cops here will not even respond to it any more unless the owner tells them the theft was over 1K. They will just tell the owner to take a # from them over the phone for their insurance.The thief does not care if someone See's him. Even if he gets caught they will just slap his hand. Right now those GPS units sitting on a dash are a big reason. I stopped putting anything pro gun on my cars a long time ago for this reason.
I also long ago stopped putting anything political on because here many of the "free speech" crowd will vandalize your car when they see you are right wing.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Alex Clayton

Steve Swickard
2009-01-11 02:55:33 UTC
When I was much younger I use to display not only NRA decals on my vehicles
but other macho firearm related decals as well as posting some on the door
to the house. Now days I do not have any type of decal except for a DOD
decal to get onto military bases on my vehicles and no decals are displayed
on my home. I've been lead to understand that up in Denver the police
consider an NRA decal probable cause to search a vehicle for illegal
weapons, cannot confirm this though. In my area the LEO's are pretty cool
with weapons in vehicles. I would think that your chances of being
burglarized would be much higher if you are displaying an NRA or any other
type of firearms related decal on your vehicle.

Steve in Colorado

_____

What do you guys think? Does displaying an NRA decal on your vehicle
make it more likely to be the subject of an auto burglary by theives
looking for a weapon?

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.
3:09 PM

geoff beneze
2009-01-11 02:58:51 UTC
Post by marksmayfield07
What do you guys think? Does displaying an NRA decal on your vehicle
make it more likely to be the subject of an auto burglary by theives
looking for a weapon?
I see no reason to advertise my political preferences, my recreational
habits or my sexual preferences so thieves, rogue LEO's and the
standard run of the mill psycho on the street can use that data to
target me.

I've had exactly ONE bumper sticker on my vehicles, right after I got
my first car. That was a mistake and made me just another one of the
herd.

By PREFERENCE, I would put the NRA decal on my truck, but by practical
logic, the hazards far outweigh the benefits.
--
Geoff Beneze
Tempe, AZ

Michael & Anita Inman
2009-01-11 03:49:45 UTC
My ONE Bumper Sticker: (was placed above the rear window of my VW Bug)

Don't honk, I'm peddling as fast as I can!
Mike I.
Post by geoff beneze
Post by marksmayfield07
[...]
Jesus is Lord of All
Michael D. Inman
- Going to church doesn't make you a Christian...
...any more than standing in your garage makes you a car. -
(Like Jesus, I just love YOU....Forever!)

Restoration Ministry
http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/

mike matt
2009-01-11 13:13:27 UTC
No body has ever messed with me and I have several, My truck has a locking camper, and it also has a locked storage, of course I have a alarm system and a 40 cal to back it up. In any event the weapons I have go in the room with me when I am on the road and ride with me when I am working. Its all good and if my decals add one person to the fight, so be it. marblehead

Steve in TN
2009-01-11 14:01:05 UTC
Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:24 pm (PST)
What do you guys think? Does displaying an NRA decal on your vehicle
make it more likely to be the subject of an auto burglary by theives
looking for a weapon?
True story. In 2001 my home was burglarized twice in the span of two
weeks. The burglar saw my truck sporting GOA and NRA decals, followed
me home, determined when no one would be there. All my long arms and
computer equipment, much of the wife's jewelry, many keepsakes...
Gone. Make your political statement another way.

What really ticks me off is that I was investigating the series of
burglaries in our area at the time, figured out that the thug would be
back, but was called away on an emergency when he hit the second time.
If not for some idiot in-laws I would have caught the creep red
handed on the second break in. We had two youth gangs and a couple
free lancers working our neighborhood (mine was a lone wolf). All
were eventually caught.

It took us over a year to clean out the riff raff. What stopped the
bad guys from targeting me was the installation of an alarm system and
a big dog. Some houses were hit three and four times as the
victims/residents would replace what was lost.

--
Steve Owens in Tennessee | http://www.paxparabellum.com
"I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always

Tom
2009-01-11 17:38:09 UTC
Mas Ayoob (LEO, Firearms trainer, and gun writer amongst many other
related talents) ALSO recomends we put no pro gun ANYTHING on our
cars or houses. I'm a Glock fanatic, but my beloved "Glock
Perfection" stickers came down after reading his wisdom and my
moving to a large city where gangs and gun crime abound.

His reasoning is; Not only does it mark you as a "GUN PERSON" for
the "free speech" crowd, who have always had the nasty habit of
wanting to silence ANY opposition ANY way they can, and that
includes (but is not limited to) back stabbing, verbal attacks,
defacement, theft, or destruction of property, and in rare
instances, personal violence. Mas says too that gang bangers can
target you as a gun owner, follow you somewhere (including home or
work) and ambush you for your gun, or ransack your car for it at
their lesure.

Needless to say, we no longer have the constitutional right of
freedom of speech. Note the voice lowering, looking sideways and all
around before saying anything "contraversial", (whatever that
means), these days, or making ANY kind of statement concerning
ANYTHING ANYONE can POSSIBLY construe as "harassment"
or "disrespect".

I've been warned by friends not to show anything "gun related" at
work, as it will "mark me", and not in a good way! As the old saying
goes..."Don't frighten the horses!"
Remember, the public is very rapidly being conditioned to think all
gun people are just ticking time-bombs waiting for any excuse to "go
postal", and guns, of and by themselves, possess some evil aura of
their own.

"Freedom of speech" today means PC only speech, or speech that has
the PC Gestapo's personal stamp of approval, and even that is
subject to change at any time for any reason whatsoever. It can
depend overwhelmingly on the person-in-question's political
leanings. Conservatives are held to a much different standard and
set of rules than are liberals, and that standard can change
directions and velocity like the wind.

Don't expect any help from other conservatives, either, if you
happen to stray into these waters. They will abandon you like you
were a leper, and join the childlike screaming and fingerpointing PC
crowd in the provibal New York Minute. (Been there got the t shirt!)

True stories:

An uncle of mine operated a business in southwestern Pa. for many
years which has an overwhelming liberal/democrat population. He was
a rock ribbbed conservative, and voted republican, but was
registered as a democrat. His business would have suffered or been
destroyed had the above facts been known by his customers. Someone
DID check his voting registration, you can BELIEVE IT. Be assured,
he watched his bumper stickers too.

My father, in the early 1950's, was a teacher in West Virginia, and
it became known he was registered as a republican. He was called
into the superentendant's office for a "friendly little chat" about
him changing his political affiliation. He tossed his keys on the
desk and stated flatly he had just fought in a war (WWII)to make
sure people voted and worshiped the way they pleased, and his keys
could be stuffed somewhere uncomfortable if how he voted was such a
problem. His stainless service record and WWII combat veteran's
statis proably saved his job, but he shortly afterwards upgraded
professions to design engeneeer for a local coal company. In private
industry, his work ethic and dedication to a job well done was more
value to the company than his political affilication.

Most, myself included, can't depend on that kind of thing happening.

The left wing is an increasingly pro active and (dare I say it??!!)
rabid group. You don't always know who you are talking to or who's
behind you in traffic or a lonely country road. (Remember the anti
smoking Nazis that advocated snapping cigarettes out of total
stranger's hands or mouths?) Remember too Nazi Germany, Mao's China,
and "Uncle Joe's" USSR. About about 47% of the population votes for
that kind of government incursion and loss of freedoms EVERY two
years.

One night, before cell phones were in voge, (though much of WV is a
dead zone for cells, be warned) I passed a large slow moving older
model M-Benz on RT 79 south in West Virginia. SOMETHING, (maybe it
WAS at least in part, my Glock decal, and PRO GUN bumperstickers but
with loons, who knows) set him off and he closed on my bumper and
turned up his high beams which were like airplane landing lights.
Driving a 4 banger Subaru, I couldn't out run him, even at speeds
above 85 MPH, and due to an appointment, I couldn't slow down to a
crawl either. I could have easily read a magazine with the light he
was throwing into the passenger compartment of that stationwagon. He
was blinding me and he knew it. He stayed within about one car
length. This went on for over 75 miles. As I arrived at my turn off
exit he mingled in traffic and was gone.

JUST FOR THE RECORD:
Yes, anti gunners, I WAS armed. (I was a bonded courier on bank
business carrying millions of dollars in checks to be exact) But,
CCW people are cut from a better bolt of cloth. Getting into
ANYTHING involving gun-play with this toad stool never crossed my
mind. This boob was playing mind games with thousands of pounds of
fast moving steel, and had I a cell phone, he would have shortly
been seeing pretty blue lights dancing in his rearview mirror. And,
yes, I WOULD HAVE pressed charges had there been any made. I'm sure
my employer and the bank in question would have taken an interest
too...

I'm voting to stay stealth guys, till conservatives start voting and
responding to this situation like conservatives. Not holding my
breath either...

csa_gray
Deo Vindice!

"We, sir, shall give them the bayonet!"
General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson, CSA, during the battle of
1st Manassas 1861.
marksmayfield07
Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:24 pm (PST)

Mark Mayfield
2009-01-11 20:36:28 UTC
thanks for the feedback !

twodogss
2009-01-11 20:44:22 UTC
Years ago, I had several political and firearm decals on my pickup and I
carried a .38 Charter Arms in the metal tool box, very securely locked up.

My wife took her car to the garage for some work, and we had her drop me off
and she took the truck to go to her job, at a newspaper company in Hayward
Ca. Right across from the Hayward PD and courthouse.

Broad daylight, some mug freon's the locks (found shattered by the truck)
and pops them off and swiped the gun....cops mentioned the decals, said they
were a bright red arrow pointing at the truck, steal me, I gots guns ......
Nothing since adorns our vehicles except greyhound rescue decals ;-)) and I
do not leave a gun in the vehicle any more.
Al

Dale
2009-01-11 23:02:06 UTC
Maybe you should take the Greyhounds with you and paint em up to look like Doberman's. Would be a good active alarm system.

Dale

Scott Williams
2009-01-13 22:02:44 UTC
There has GOT to be a better way to combat the liberals than just
keeping quiet and becoming invisible. Invisible majorities become
minorities pretty quickly. They know we respect their right to free
speech, so they shout their opinions to the world, and we have to cower
and hide our opinions.

I wish I knew what the answer is.

Scott in Penfield NY

Brent Seilheimer
2009-01-13 23:47:36 UTC
I agree with you Scott..why should we have to cower and hide our opinions

http://www.myspace.com/waylonfannm
www.officialjessicolter.com  www.waylon.com www.shooterjennings.com
THIS IS NO DRESS REHEARSAL. WE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND THIS IS THE BIG TIME! WAYLON JENNINGS

________________________________

geoff beneze
2009-01-13 23:53:38 UTC
Post by Brent Seilheimer
I agree with you Scott..why should we have to cower and hide our opinions
Outline a plan for stopping criminals and Liberals from stealing your
goods or trashing your car.

Make it a practical suggestion.
--
Geoff Beneze
Tempe, AZ
Target Stands
http://www.beast-enterprises.com
NRA Life Member
-----
Heaven's not beyond the clouds, it's just beyond the fear.
No, Heaven's not beyond the clouds, it's for us to find HERE
--Garth Brooks (Belleau Wood)

Brent Seilheimer

geoff beneze
2009-01-14 00:06:19 UTC
Start by cleaning out Washington but of course you can't get people
to agree to do much of anything these days. Lots of people have
their hands out for a "gimmie" but don't want to do anything in
return. Our society has pretty much gone to hell.
So, we go back to our covert behaviors in self defense......
--
Geoff Beneze
Tempe, AZ
Target Stands
http://www.beast-enterprises.com
NRA Life Member
-----
A lot of good arguments are spoiled by
some fool who knows what he is talking about.

Tom
2009-01-15 05:28:42 UTC
As I mentioned before in other posts, in my home state of West
Virginia, flag waving NRA members would fall over their feet getting
to the side of Sen. Robert Byrd. D WV. for a photo with him. Byrd
has been re-elected to the senate since the late 50's. Many strong
pro gun challengers have gone down in flames because West Virginians
want their handouts and pork money. Oh, and because so many have
blindly voted STRAIGHT TICKET DEMOCRAT for decades without EVER ONCE
looking at the ISSUES involved. Business owners that suffered
mightily under Clinton's tax increases flocked to Democrat fund
raisers. Strong bible believing christians turned a blind eye to
Clinton's support for gays and abortion, and his open phlandering.
(I just can't explain that one either.) I even heard of one
congregation savaging their pastor when he preached against voting
for someone of such low morals. (I'm sure there were more than one)

At least they kept Gore out in 2000, (Gore was counting on WV, as it
had twice, TWICE!!!??? voted for Der Shlickmister. They came through
and gave Kerry the boot in 2004, for the same reason.(Gun issues)
The population of WV is very conservative but they will vote for the
proverbial yellow dog if he's democrat. (This is changing somewhat
as the old timers from FDR's time are dying off, but many thousands
of young minds were long ago poisioned by the old time mindset)

Byrd has for many years been no friend to gun owners, and voted in
lockstep for the worst proposed gun ban bills in history, including
the Brady Bunch buffonery in the early 90's, but good NRA members
and life long hunters and sportsmen will vote to put his dead body
back into congress when he's finally gone.

As my brother is fond of saying, "You can't cure stupid."

csa_gray
Deo Vindice!
(And boy howdy has he ever!)

Kurt Feltenberger
2009-01-14 00:16:24 UTC
Post by Scott Williams
There has GOT to be a better way to combat the liberals than just
keeping quiet and becoming invisible. Invisible majorities become
minorities pretty quickly. They know we respect their right to free
speech, so they shout their opinions to the world, and we have to cower
and hide our opinions.
I wish I knew what the answer is.
Scott in Penfield NY
I'll tell you...

Step one is study what the gay rights movement has done, how they did
it, and then implement those tactics with our own message.

Step two is to go on the offense across the board. File lawsuits in
civil court (and if possible, in criminal court if we can get a DA to go
along with it) alleging a conspiracy to deprive us of our rights under
the 2nd Amendment. Wrap it up as a civil rights issue and name
*everyone* from the board of directors to *every* person who made a
financial contribution to the supporting organizations, to every
politician who has endorsed the pending legislation. And then do it
every time and everywhere legislation is introduced.

Step three is fundamental; yank the chains of "our" politicians and
start demanding that they do their job and introduce legislation to roll
back or better, nullify the original legislation from the point of
enactment and expunge the records of anyone convicted of violating said
laws.

Step four is to use our money to beat "our" gun rights organizations in
the head with a giant 2x4 and let them know that the next time they
decide to sabotage one another, the guilty party will pay dearly.

Step five goes along with step four; clean out the current people in
those organizations and get people who are hungry and idealistic into
the decision making, policy writing, and public relations positions. The
current crop of bodies has grown fat off our money playing at defending
our rights.

Step six, adopt a "no prisoners" approach when dealing with the left. We
have money, we have people who are skilled investigators, now it's time
for a dirty war. We didn't ask or want to resort to this, but when your
back is in a corner, sometimes you need to get dirty. Find dirt on
anyone in a public office; elected, appointed, or PAC, and then make
sure everyone gets the dirt. Don't blackmail them, that's a felony.
Shame them on the public stage and absolutely destroy their credibility
and their ability to be effective.

Step seven, clean up our image. No camo. Clean shaven when at public
functions. Dress casual professional if not professional. Fact check
everything and if it's something that floated around the 'net, check it
thrice and have a bibliography with all your sources and page numbers
for each fact you use. The left likes to believe they're the "elite
intelligentsia" of the nation, now it's time to ram it down their
throats that they're nothing but hacks spreading FUD based on junk
science. Oh...and have all their "facts" checked and cross referenced so
they can easily be parried, broken, and crushed.

In short, the time has come to stop "playing" at activism in pursuit of
our cause and step things up and be serious about things. If one out of
every four gun owners took an hour to stop at their Congressman's and
Senators' business offices in their local districts, and did it each
month, making sure that each time they covered the current issues before
Congress and what we wanted, they'd take notice. If 100 million people
owned firearms and 25 million stopped in the 535 offices each month,
that would be an average of 57471 people in each Congressman's office
and 500000 in each Senator's office. Each Month. Even if instead of
visiting, they sent a piece of mail that was registered and required a
signature to accept, the point would quickly be made.

Kurt
--
Kurt Feltenberger
kurt-Q2EBimObBIkdnm+***@public.gmane.org/kfeltenberger-/***@public.gmane.org // http://www.teotwawki.net

“Before today, I was scared to live, after today, I'm scared I'm not living enough." - Me

geoff beneze
2009-01-14 00:24:52 UTC
Post by Kurt Feltenberger
Step four is to use our money to beat "our" gun rights organizations in
the head with a giant 2x4 and let them know that the next time they
decide to sabotage one another, the guilty party will pay dearly.
This plan, while good in theory, CANNOT possibly become reality in the
Shooting Community, since we can't seem to agree on which way is up
long enough to unite to protect our rights.
--
Geoff Beneze
Tempe, AZ
Target Stands
http://www.beast-enterprises.com
NRA Life Member
-----
Critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it’s done, they’ve
seen it done every day, but they’re unable to do it themselves.
--Brendan Behan

geoff beneze
2009-01-14 00:26:47 UTC
Post by Kurt Feltenberger
I'll tell you...
Step one is study what the gay rights movement has done, how they did
it, and then implement those tactics with our own message.
However, it's an excellent plan should be shooting community ever grow
enough maturity to implement it.

I'd certainly work toward it.
--
Geoff Beneze
Tempe, AZ
http://www.beast-enterprises.com
Target Stands
NRA Life Member
-----
NOW, just why the HELL do I have to "Press 1 for English?"

Kurt Feltenberger
2009-01-14 01:03:20 UTC
Post by geoff beneze
Post by Kurt Feltenberger
I'll tell you...
Step one is study what the gay rights movement has done, how they did
it, and then implement those tactics with our own message.
However, it's an excellent plan should be shooting community ever grow
enough maturity to implement it.
I'd certainly work toward it.
I really think the shooting community enjoys stabbing each other in the
back and sabotaging each other more than it does the actual shooting,
only because shooting the other guy is still illegal.

A very sad state of affairs.

Kurt

Scott Williams
2009-01-14 01:30:49 UTC
If you find the right moment, and the right group to propose it, I
believe that we really could get a RKBA march on Washington that would
get media attention.

It would be important to get enough people that look "normal" (like the
media expects "normal" non-gun folks to look) that the ones who look
like the stereotypical "gun-nut" will be far outnumbered. Even so, the
media will try to highlight the "nuttier" ones of us.

Someone recently (here or another group) mentioned that the HUGE number
of calls made regarding the amnesty issue for illegal immigrants was
enough to get the pols to rethink. If we can find a moment like that to
energize the RKBA community and beyond, that would be a good start.
Shut down the phone banks, and let them know just how many of us are
clinging to our guns. The anti-gunners are VERY vocal, but I believe
they're a much smaller group.

Scott in Penfield NY

Alex Clayton
2009-01-14 01:39:43 UTC
Post by Scott Williams
There has GOT to be a better way to combat the liberals than
just
keeping quiet and becoming invisible.
There is, VOTE, and donate. Paces like CA got the kind of gun laws they have because a hell of a lot of gun owners could not be bothered to vote, or to vote for the right people. Stickers all over your car change nothing. Money and votes to the right people do.

Scott Williams
2009-01-14 05:06:44 UTC
... Stickers all over your car change nothing. ...
I believe you are wrong. Of course "money and votes" count, but you
don't have to pay as much for votes if you can persuade people to
believe that you are the majority. Once people believe you are a
majority, they look for reasons to agree with you, rather than reasons
why they shouldn't. The sheeple want to be on the winning side.

Seeing car after car carrying the Obamination bumper stickers was very
persuasive, and made it easier for the fence sitters to be swayed to
their side.

The media bashes the population with a "guns are bad" message, and the
only thing that might help people ignore or disbelieve that message is
to see that they are surrounded by a polite, "normal" society of gun
owners. They see less and less of the latter, and more and more of the
former.

I can accept that there are reasons to avoid putting stickers on your
car, but their ineffectiveness is not one of them.

Scott in Penfield NY

geoff beneze
2009-01-14 05:31:21 UTC
Post by Scott Williams
I believe you are wrong. Of course "money and votes" count, but you
don't have to pay as much for votes if you can persuade people to
believe that you are the majority. Once people believe you are a
majority, they look for reasons to agree with you, rather than reasons
why they shouldn't. The sheeple want to be on the winning side.
Why screw around trying to make the THINK (let alone thing that we're
the majority) when the simple fact of the matter is that we ARE the
majority given the splits.

If all the shooters stopped pumping their ego stick and joined NRA
(and I choose it only because it currently has the largest
membership), if every shooter got their CCW, we'd be something like 80
million strong. The largest single "block" constituency in the country.

The 2A people could fundamentally vote in, or force the vote of
ANYTHING we wanted.

But that would mean we couldn't bicker and pound our chests anymore.

Unity is like that.
--
Geoff Beneze
Tempe, AZ
Target Stands
http://www.beast-enterprises.com
NRA Life Member
-----
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
--Mark Twain

Alex Clayton
2009-01-14 17:08:46 UTC
Post by geoff beneze
Why screw around trying to make the THINK
Because this gives gun owners an "excuse". I have known many that loved stickers on the car, but they do not bother to vote, or send money. They tell themselves they are "doing their part" because they have a couple stickers on the car and that takes care of their part. It's just an excuse, but they love to complain as a new law gets passed though. <shrug>

Scott Williams
2009-01-14 17:20:26 UTC
Post by Alex Clayton
Because this gives gun owners an "excuse". I have known many that loved stickers on the car, but they do not bother to vote, or send money. They tell themselves they are "doing their part" because they have a couple stickers on the car and that takes care of their part. It's just an excuse, but they love to complain as a new law gets passed though. <shrug>
The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Alex Clayton
How can anyone not bother to vote? I just can't comprehend that...